YARRA BEND ASYLUM CEMETERY

THE ASYLUM

As the name suggests, Yarra Bend was established  in a curve of the river outside  Melbourne. Completed  in1848. It was  Victoria’s first, purpose built  mental asylum.

 

There was an initial intake of ten patients;

First patients at Yarra Bend Asylum

 

Yarra Bend Asylum

The asylum in1875

THE CEMETERY

Burials at the asylum in the 1870s were horrific, as  a newspaper correspondent reported in a letter to the editor;

For some time back the bodies of patients who die in the Yarra Bend are buried by “contract”, and the contractor is in the habit of conveying the dead bodies to the cemetery in an open spring cart, without a particle of clothing except a small bit of well worn oil-cloth. A coroner’s inquest is held on nearly every one of these bodies; this causes delay – indeed it very often happens that a body is not placed in the contractor’s cart until  nearly three days have elapsed after death. The effluvia from the card is often something horrible, and to make the matter worse, the contractor is in the habit of driving along this road at the rate of about 10 miles an hour – portions of the road are rough patches of new metal etc.

Rattle his bones over the stones,

He’s only a looney whom nobody owns

Surely this should not be allowed in this Christian land,

Yours,

HUMANITUS

The quote included by ‘Humanitus’ was from the poem The Pauper’s Drive, by Thomas Noel. It concludes;

Bear softly his bones over the stones,

Though a pauper, he’s one whom his Maker yet owns.

It’s important to remember  that these  inmates were ‘owned’ and  mourned by their loved ones.

FAMILY NOTICE – The Age, Saturday 8 March 1902

Yarra Bend Asylum. Henry Hayes, the beloved husband of Annie Hayes, of 5 Studley Park Terrace

As time went by, overcrowding  became a serious problem at Yarra Bend. Also, the  original design  meant that  inmates  did not receive any benefit from the beauty of its riverside location. The man who would orchestrate the asylum’s  closure was  Dr Ernest Jones. He aired his feelings  of dismay following an inspection  of the institution shortly after his appointment as Inspector General of the Insane in 1905;

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The final  patient admission to Yarra Bend was in 1924. Inmates were moved to other, more modern mental hospitals when it closed a year later.

In June 1927 a newspaper portrayed  a bleak picture of the old asylum burial ground;

A rabbit warren and a grazing ground for cattle is the description that has been applied to the cemetery attached to the Yarra  Bend Mental Asylum. At present the cemetery contains the remains of more than 1,000 former patients and is in a shockingly neglected condition. A water course more than 6ft deep in places runs through the centre. Only a few of the graves can be identified by the small, weather scarred crosses left standing. On them the dates go back to 1853. Immediate steps, however, are to be taken, to put the cemetery in a proper state of repair.

It is estimated that there were 1,200 burials during the years the asylum was open, but only 400 graves. This was because  families  of the dead were charged more to have an individual plot.  Many of the lost, unmarked graves lie below the practice fairway of a golf course.

All that is left of the asylum itself  is a single pillar from the entrance gates.

 

Pillar fromthe gates of Yarra Bend Asylum

A lonely relic of the asylum

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Notification of new stories via Email

Enter your email address to receive notification of new stories on this website (your address will not be shown).

Search Pandora

Find us in Pandora the National Library of Australia's archive of Australian online publications in perpetuity.